I've been a plonker DM800 Gemini 4.6 - Its a bit long

There are 34 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 4,361 times. The last Post () by Vj531.

• Hi all

Dreambox DM800 'casual' user.

By no means a black belt at these things.

I operate all my Dreambox and the rest of av bits and pieces from my network PC, I'm restricted getting to my DM800 due to my disability.

Part 1 ----------------- History from yesterday morning 23/9 --------------------------------------
    Was trying to connect my DM800 to my Ipad.

Could not remember password
    Then deleted by mistake password in DCC e2 - I'm an idiot

Got some 'advice' online
    Went into DM800 installed tuxbox

went to var/etc

then edited passwd

Deleted the two first lines by mistake (stupid Dreambox remote)
    root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/sh (just an example)
    and the next line

Tried to input with remote totally unable to. Remote does not work very will for text input.

I needed to reset password on box.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Was told on another site to flash a new image. That when fun really started.........not.
    ***********************************************************************************
    Part 2 ------------ Yesterday afternoon/evening-------------------------------------------------------------

Trying to flash with Gemini 5.1. But browser times out before flash starts.

All looks fine on front of box flashing red light. ***STOP*** IIP 192.168.0.7

I get "This is the DM800 bootloader Web Interface." and browse for file fine - hit flash. But that's it.

Have tried 3 different browsers Firefox 3.6 IE8 Google chrome - with no luck. All time out
    example IE8 "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"

Baffled??

Advice came back

Us dreamup from one kind sole
    and this from an admin.
    Could you please use an old version of the browsers and then an actual image?
    The Gemini-Images are very old now - actual images can be found on Thank you for your interest in Dreambox Update. There is also a short description on how to flash your box up to the newest point.

This means:
    You'll need to flash the actual Bootloader first, then reboot the box to Stop-Mode and then flash the new image.

As last time I did this was around two years ago, I was so rusty I thought Gem 5.1 was the latest ....bingo sorted!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I still cant flash - I cant use Dreamup due to not being able to connect the cable even if I had a pc with com1.

Its not helping that I have not touched the box for a long while - just watch the footy on it.
    When working leave well alone is my motto.

It has been suggested I update firmware.
    then browser.
    then image.

I can see dbox web control but cant flash?????
    Dreamup just sits there. when using network setting

Can anything be done from inside the DM800?

My router sees the dreambox

What about a factory reset on the box and start from scratch?

Should DHCP be on or off in the dbox setup and would this make difference?
    It was switched off which I think was wrong but on now and still cant flash.

Hope this all makes sense.

Stephen

• dont know much about dm800s but would tell you that a factory reset will not do anything to the image except put everything back to "normal"
    ( you havent mentioned which emu you were using)
    i dont understand how you "deleted password" from DCC... search for DCC.ini on your pc and edit with notepad+ and you might tget luckyu and see your password there. this is what it looks like :

this tut could be of good use : http://linuxsat-support.com/en…tion-video-tutorials.html
    although a little late but a good read : http://linuxsat-support.com/en…our-dreambox-enigma2.html especially about dhcp settings ,etc

• dont know much about dm800s but would tell you that a factory reset will not do anything to the image except put everything back to "normal"
    ( you havent mentioned which emu you were using)
    i dont understand how you "deleted password" from DCC... search for DCC.ini on your pc and edit with notepad+ and you might tget luckyu and see your password there. this is what it looks like :

this tut could be of good use : http://linuxsat-support.com/en…tion-video-tutorials.html
    although a little late but a good read : http://linuxsat-support.com/en…our-dreambox-enigma2.html especially about dhcp settings ,etc

The .ini is blank ie Password=

The big problem is cant re-enter this in tuxbox - because of the poor DM remote control - It cannot be used to input text its rubbish.

and the next line

I feel so stupid.

• Its possibly been overwritten, if you have re installed DCC e2.. But you could try a recovery program to get the previous version back.

This is a link to a free one, but id recommend you look for a copy of a paid one

Code
    http://www.piriform.com/recuva

I always have a second, account on my receiver, and any i setup for friends 'just in case', might be something you want to consider going forward.

I am not obligated, or connected to any particular brand, seller or retailer so any opinions given are not biased in anyway.
    Any information given is for hobby and research purposes only, and whilst every effort is made to ensure that all my responses are accurate, - Any action you may take based on my replies is done so at your own risk.
    Viewing Premium Channels or Media, without paying for them is illegal and if you do so, you do so at your own risk!

BpGgW.jpg

• Its possibly been overwritten, if you have re installed DCC e2.. But you could try a recovery program to get the previous version back.

This is a link to a free one, but id recommend you look for a copy of a paid one

Code
    http://www.piriform.com/recuva

I always have a second, account on my receiver, and any i setup for friends 'just in case', might be something you want to consider going forward.

I retrieved the password.
    Now I'm worried as it was the correct one all along.

I get this error - I think/guess its to do with deletion in tuxbox?

• Ok click on each device, and press search, let it find the ips (you can reduce the range at the top to save time), highlight the correct ip and press select/ok (cant remember off top of my head), do same with router.

Also, is the config right for your network, usually this will be 'router'.

I am not obligated, or connected to any particular brand, seller or retailer so any opinions given are not biased in anyway.
    Any information given is for hobby and research purposes only, and whilst every effort is made to ensure that all my responses are accurate, - Any action you may take based on my replies is done so at your own risk.
    Viewing Premium Channels or Media, without paying for them is illegal and if you do so, you do so at your own risk!

BpGgW.jpg

• I've checked DCC and all the ip's are all right according to router.

But my password was right.

Then the only thing that has changed is

and the next line

UPDATE.
    I Can still view channels through CCcam and see cccam info on PC.

But remember cannot flash new image "times out"

I think its to do with ip and network.........but dont have clue on how to fix it.

Stephen

• Is this a 800HD or 800HD se box? and How are you flashing the receiver?

BpGgW.jpg

• Is this a 800HD or 800HD se box? and How are you flashing the receiver?

800HD original

Power off
    Hold in on/off button
    **stop** comes up with IP

From pc browser http://192.168.0.7
    find image the flash.

But mine just sits there after this. Chrome does nothing just keep looking - Firefox and IE8 gives cant find error.

I am no network expert, but it does sound strange.

Is there a way to repair damaged file in the Dbox? Reset password maybe?

• What is your bootloader version ? (displayed at #STOP screen)

Upgrade to latest, to succesfull flash your DM800//

• Could be your firewall?

You also have the option to flash using RS232 cable, using Dreamup

BpGgW.jpg

• What is your bootloader version ? (displayed at #STOP screen)

Upgrade to latest, to succesfull flash your DM800//

I've tried to update bootloader but once again it will not flash.

Remember I have trouble getting to my box due to my disability - I will get the bootloader version tomorrow morning CapNCooK

• Could be your firewall?

You also have the option to flash using RS232 cable, using Dreamup

Firewall good call! - I'll check it tomorrow Banny.

Flash using RS232 cable + Dreamup is going to be my very last resort. As its a real pain for me as I dont have a com port on any PC here and as I said to CapNCooK getting to my box is a real problem and I will have get help.

Speak more tomorrow.

Thanks one all so far.

Stephen

• You can get usb to rs232 to do the same job, I know you said it is last resort, but just so you know

Code
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-RS232-Converter-Cable/dp/B00077DJIQ

BpGgW.jpg

• You can get usb to rs232 to do the same job, I know you said it is last resort, but just so you know

Code
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-RS232-Converter-Cable/dp/B00077DJIQ

there are a lot of reports that this method doesnt work 100% ..
    so maybe a neighbour/friend/family member has another pc with com port would be much better..

• there are a lot of reports that this method doesnt work 100% ..
    so maybe a neighbour/friend/family member has another pc with com port would be much better..

I've got a USB to RS232 they are not good....a bit hit a miss

I may do some asking around regarding a PC with a com port.

Will try everything else first ..........

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!