Dish upgrade

There are 37 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 5,321 times. The last Post () by reddevil157.

• Hey ppl, was thinking about a bigger dish. At the moment I've got a sly mini dish - quad lnb - dm800hd. I live in southern Ireland and was thinking of getting a 1m triax or similar ( as in diff brand ) and I'm looking for ppl's advice on, a motor or 4x1 diseqc switch. I know that I would probably get away with an 80cm dish but then in a few month's might want to go for a 1m so, might as well get it now. The main thing I suppose is, motor or diseqc ?. I've also read about ppl having trouble with the arm on the dish moving in the wind, so should I be looking for a diff type of dish ?. All advice appreciated.
    Red.

• I would personally go for a multi sat dish rather than a motor a lot quicker for zapping between satellites. If you only want 13 east, 19 east and 28 east you can go for a triax with multi lnb holder or similar dish.

If you want more satellites go for a Wave Frontier T90 or Maximum E-85 which will give you about a 40 degree spread of satellites

If you want more satellites than that you will have to go for a motor

• Thank's m8, I was thinking the same about the diseqc, just needed someone to confirm it. The most sat's I'd be looking for would be 4 with the multi lnb holder. So the reason for the motor is to get a sh*t load of sat's. I'm only watching sly at the min but want to get sport from other sats when sly are charging for the events.

• Official Post

For me a motorised setup wins hands down. Good point by Hacksat about quicker zapping, but my opinion is if you can get the full arc use it.
    The seconds it takes for your motor to move is worth waiting for. Otherwise i think you will regret being limited to 4 sats.Invest in a solid mount, good dish and you wont look back.

• For me a motorised setup wins hands down. Good point by Hacksat about quicker zapping, but my opinion is if you can get the full arc use it.
    The seconds it takes for your motor to move is worth waiting for. Otherwise i think you will regret being limited to 4 sats.Invest in a solid mount, good dish and you wont look back.

If I were going to go for a motor and a good dish, which would you recommend and the best lnb. I have been looking at the one's hacksat suggested, but would also like other ppl's opinions. Does this look any god to ye guy's

Ps. no offence hacksat.

• The mount on that link looks dodge...

You need a good solid mount as the wind will play havoc otherwise!

I'd defo suggest a motorized system too!

Its great and for the couple of seconds to move sat is worth it...

I think the guys were on about "inverto utra 0.1 lnbs" not so long ago as being one of the best on the market...

• So you reckon that kit's ok apart from the mount ?. I know by the time I buy the kit for the multi sat ie, lnb's, quad lnb holder, diseqc switch, I would probably be half way to paying for motor set up. Also I would deffo get the full arc where I'm living. So it seem's the best way to mount a motor sys, is on a scaff pole set in concrete in the ground. It provides for easy access should I have any problems?. I hope I'm on the right track ppl.

• Ya well i think its grand for the money! Could go much dearer... Others might have another opinion!

What do ye think lads??

Ya a pole set in concrete is the usual job...

I have a U bracket on the wall which i made myself out of pipe and its a great job!

But i haven't seen them being sold anywhere..

And the pole set in concrete would give you easy access to set it up as you say!

Its great fun trust me ;)

• So you reckon that kit's ok apart from the mount ?. I know by the time I buy the kit for the multi sat ie, lnb's, quad lnb holder, diseqc switch, I would probably be half way to paying for motor set up. Also I would deffo get the full arc where I'm living. So it seem's the best way to mount a motor sys, is on a scaff pole set in concrete in the ground. It provides for easy access should I have any problems?. I hope I'm on the right track ppl.

Yes easy for access but make sure it is high enough to be out of harms way, people knocking into it etc.

you can use some T K brackets with a 2 inch pole as well for a sturdy install

The other main reason for people using some sort of multi sat installation is that you can have multiple receivers using the same dish at the same time by using twin or quad LNBs

Got rid of my motor a year or so ago as I was only watching the same 4 satellites, so seemed pointless.

• I have had both systems myself. I started off with a 4 way diseqc switch system, which gives you instant switching between satellites as already mentioned. The thing to remember when setting it up is that east and west swap places when you are setting up your LNB's due to the fact that your dish acts in the same way as a mirror. Without that bit of vital knowledge you will be messing about for hours trying to set up your LNB's. I personally changed to a motorised system because I realised that there was a lot of good stuff that I could not get, so I upgraded. It is fairly straight forward to set up a motorised system just follow the instructions in the motors manual and configure you satellite box for a motorised system. As for a dish go for a known make like Triax (mentioned by Hacksat), my dish is a Gibertini which is very well made. For a motor you need to make sure that it has metal gears not plastic especially if you live in a windy area, you also need to make sure that the motor is big enough for your dish. I have a Technomate TM2200 motor, which I have found to be very reliable. You will also need a good low db LNB, I use an Inverto myself. I hope this helps you a bit.

Dreambox 500s (2011 Clone) - Gibertini 90cm - TM-2200 Super Motor - Inverto 0.2db - SCT Local

• I have had both systems myself. I started off with a 4 way diseqc switch system, which gives you instant switching between satellites as already mentioned. The thing to remember when setting it up is that east and west swap places when you are setting up your LNB's due to the fact that your dish acts in the same way as a mirror. Without that bit of vital knowledge you will be messing about for hours trying to set up your LNB's. I personally changed to a motorised system because I realised that there was a lot of good stuff that I could not get, so I upgraded. It is fairly straight forward to set up a motorised system just follow the instructions in the motors manual and configure you satellite box for a motorised system. As for a dish go for a known make like Triax (mentioned by Hacksat), my dish is a Gibertini which is very well made. For a motor you need to make sure that it has metal gears not plastic especially if you live in a windy area, you also need to make sure that the motor is big enough for your dish. I have a Technomate TM2200 motor, which I have found to be very reliable. You will also need a good low db LNB, I use an Inverto myself. I hope this helps you a bit.

Cheers for that, wouldn't have had a clue about the mirror thing. Nice one Cyborg.

• a previous set up of mine was quite versatile if you have room for 2 dishes.

I had 1 Triax TD88 with multi holder which had 13 east, 19 east and 28 east on a 4 way switch then the fourth output went to the motor so the most common satellites would just switch on the multi lnb holder and anything else would use the motor.
    saves wear on motor as well

• All looks good mate.

Maybe better off with a slighter bigger dish, not sure if you are on the east or west of southern ireland

You should be fine with most satellites with Triax TD88

• I'd just like to add that, between the two of you, a good choice has been made - especially the lnb. You won't go wrong with that lot at all.

;p

Vu+ Solo, VIX 1.2 with CCcam2.2.1 - 1.2 Mtr Fibo gregorian, (53E - 58W). A couple of DM800's and a DM500 on a fixed 60cm dish

General Satellite & Installation Support Forum

Support for LNBs, Single satellite, motorised and multi-satellite systems. DiSEqC switches, positioners, motors, actuators, dish-alignment help.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!