S16 ---- worst box --- do not buy

There are 4 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 621 times. The last Post () by cazuela.

• have used the box for two months.

I can honestly say, I LOVE box's potential, it has a great picture quality and is better than the S9 3602.

However, I can say that this box's Firmware, regardless of CHN or ENG versions, IS H - O - R - R - I - B - L - E and makes you wonder if the developers are 4 year old's learning to script or this is their very first attempt at making firmware. The menus have changed, logos and backgrounds change, there is little continuity between them. Motorized DOES NOT WORK, if you getting the box to just use on one satellite, sure. Sure, all FW can change, that's the idea.... The purpose of saying this about the FW is to show that the developer or developer(s) do not have a clear roadmap or have spent anytime in planning this out in anyway or manor, which would mean, unless someone or group took this box serious and put up resources to support it and release it's potential than this box is going to be a BRICK for 99% of everyone that was hoping and purchased it based upon specs and experience with the S9.

If you want to use this for NewCamd - FORGET ABOUT IT
    If you want to use this for FTA - Motorized - FORGET ABOUT IT
    If you want EPG - FORGET ABOUT IT
    If you want decent DVR abilities - Pretty Good
    If you want to use this for FTA - Fixed - Great box!

Great news, DHCP does work now so you don't have to configure a static anymore!

If some support is thrown behind this box and time and some resources spent, this is one hell of a box!

Oh, my latest experience is with CHN 1016, backed up DataBase and updated FW to 1020, surprise, all my channels gone, lists, configurations GONE.. Why? 1016 dumped an empty userdb, so there was nothing to import.

So I get to setup 42 Satellites all over again...

• I agree with everything you said!

I want to add my thoughts. Please note - I am a professional and this is my thinking, who do not want to read, can not read.
    I apologize in advance for my English.

1.Openbox S16 as hardware - a normal machine, there are a few like him receivers on AliM3606 (Tiger T6, Globo 406, Ferguson,Ariva 102 etc.)
    And they all work fine.

2.FW that it does not put anything to do with OS Linux. Most likely it is a simple Java code mimics FW listed receivers in item 1 .

3.All attempt to change anything by adjusting or modifying UDFs, DDFs, TP_prog's, Canel list and over will not give you nothing
    but headaches and loss of time.

4.Changing situation can only changing the developer, or by recompiling for Openbox s16 , existing working FW created for listed receivers in item 1.

SUMMARY: It is necessary to punish the producers. Need to force them to solve their problems or give away our money.

• Yes, totally agree on the above.
    So I recommend only boxes using free software (open source) boxes, as enigma, for example.
    Factories often create a basic software (closed source) , where is a team (using open source) this usually improves the firmware.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!