hard drive

There are 22 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 5,607 times. The last Post () by Yoda.

• hi

i've installed a hard driver in my dm800. followed the maual and got the drive initialised fine. changed the recording paths to hdd with the exception if timeshift which wouldnt change. if it hit the red button i get drive <100mb?

obviously missed something?

gemini 5.1

anyone point me in the right direction?

• Hello, i really can't understand what your doing, because if you have mounted your drive, media/hdd then you don't need to change recording path's or anything.
    Mount the drive media/hdd then use ftp and make a folder /movie and everything should work, you must have a movie folder for the red button to work correctly.

• not sure myself. the drive mounted ok and is visible. i started looking at the recording paths to check they now pointed towards the hdd

the top three paths now read:-
    hdd/movie
    and the bottom one (timeshift)
    media/hdd

i dont seem to be able to change it and im guessing they should all start hdd?

thanks for the reply !

• The default paths are what you see, but you have to mount the drive media/hdd for it to work, then using ftp go to media/hdd then make a folder and name it movie, then it will work off the red button. Timeshift works directly in media/hdd but you need the movie folder to record. DON'T TRY TO CHANGE THE DEFAULT PATHS. Try what i say.

• thanks guys.

after checking i had a movie folder in hdd, but i still get the memory is less than message when i hit the red button.

my paths which i guess are correct are as above:-

hdd/movie
    hdd/movie
    hdd/movie
    media/hdd

i remounted the drive and all looked good?

• Daveangel, is this a new hard drive or has it been used in a windows pc before you put it in the 800? For it to work correctly it'll need all partitions removing and formatting in ext3.

Vu+ Solo, VIX 1.2 with CCcam2.2.1 - 1.2 Mtr Fibo gregorian, (53E - 58W). A couple of DM800's and a DM500 on a fixed 60cm dish

• its as it came out the box! ?? lol!

just checked ext3

GOT IT!

unmounted and started again and this time it seems to have worked. obviously my fault but got there in the end!

thanks guys

• Official Post

How to change the timeshift path

In recording paths scroll to timeshift & press ok

At this screen press menu then select switch to filelist

Now browse to the correct patch and press green to save

You will see the paths are different here this is for an external mount, everything works great except timeshift on hd channels can be a little jumpy.

• The problem wasn't the path's. It was the partition on the hard drive.
    I used an old windows HDD which initialised but didn't work. I think it initialised with left over non partitioned space which was next to nothing.
    I put it in my pc and removed the partition, but had many options when creating a new one. I tried an MBR main partition but it failed to initialise in the DM800.
    I tried a secondary partition which worked :-)
    Timeshift is working now.

Have you tried the permanent timeshift plugin? So you can rewind anytime?

• If you are using your drive Fat32? i would advise you to format it ext3, for using on a dreambox, if you dont you will possibly get problems with your recordings.

• Yeah maybe your's has done it straight off, but if you look all over the internet, theres pages and pages of people having trouble with hard drives on Dm's and if you format a big drive on your pc in a coulple of minutes, then you just have to mount the drive, you have obviously been lucky if your dm formatted the drive.

• I found the easiest way to format as ext3 was using a linux live disk, i had to do this for my usb stick before the DM would reconise it.

Yeah that's what i would reccomend doing.

Depends on the partition??? what about if it's a brand new drive with out partitions??? You have been lucky, plenty people have not, i battled for six days solid to get a drive to work on one box, and my other box the drive worked instantly.

• Yeah that's what i would reccomend doing.

Depends on the partition??? what about if it's a brand new drive with out partitions??? You have been lucky, plenty people have not, i battled for six days solid to get a drive to work on one box, and my other box the drive worked instantly.

Yea I plugged a virgin 500g western digital in and away it went.

If its not broke --- fix it anyway.

• Even with a new disk you can create a partition from Windows Control Panel.
    It just depends what settings you choose to get it to work.

You are totally missing the point here, you bought a new box and your hard drive worked!! great!! there is people all over the place can't get hard drives to work, or stuggle to get them to work in there dm800's, My dm would not format/ initialize the disk, it most certainly does'nt just depend on the settings you use, you have been lucky, but because you never had a problem with the drive you seem to think no one else does!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!