Setup cron job

There are 9 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 5,171 times. The last Post () by dragon777.

• I thought this might be pretty easy but am stuck (becoming more and more usual these days!!)

I see theres a cron manager in BH but I want to run a script every 10 minutes and the cron manager only allows for a certain time each day...

If I telnet in and 'crontab -e', it reports there is no crontab to 'e' lol

Anyone know how to manually setup a cron job on the Vu+?

• Although the image is from an UNO, you get the idea :make sure you get the spacing right :

Code
    crontab - e

Caz,

spacing is ok...'crontab -e' is the right entry...if you leave the extra space it just shows you the correct options available as it doesn't recognise the space as a command!

• Right! I've got this working :)

Best thing to do is create a cron job from the BH blue button (blue, blue, Black Hole Cron Manager)

I created a reboot at 04:30 every morning and this creates a bh.cron and root file in the /etc/bhcron directory (like fogonero says!)

Since I want to run the command every x minutes I needed to do this manually via ftp as the Cron Manager doesn't allow for that sort of customisation...

Open edit and save the bh.cron and root files with the new line and do a hard reboot of the box...

when you go back into the Cron Manager, you should see your new line!

I've let it run now for half and hour and its done my check every 5 minutes so happy days!

• Thanks for the instructions. I have the same question - how do check if the cron is running correctly - i.e. running every 10 minutes in the above example?

• Hi!
    I am looking for help setting a cron job so it does not work when i switch my box to standby.
    It looks like this now:
    */4 * * * * touch /media/hdd/keepalive.log
    and it does what it is intended for but I would like that it does not do it all the time and that the hdd gets some rest while the box is on standby.
    I read that I need to use if or while to condition the job to work only when the box is active/on, but I have no clue how to do it.
    any help, please...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!