4TB external usb drive not recognised in my Amiko Alien2 enigma2 box

There are 9 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 892 times. The last Post () by gorski.

• Hello,

I have an Amiko Alien2 and still after so many years I am running a PKT Hyperion image on it from around 2015!

For years I was using an external 1TB usb drive to record movies from the box which worked great. Now I have a 4TB drive I want to use. The Alien2 doesn't recognise it. I do #blkid -o list and #df -h but the Alien2 does not see the drive.

I think the problem is something to do with fdisk cannot work with partitions being bigger than 2TB? But I have already partitioned the drive with Parted in a different linux OS so shouldn't Alien2 just recognise it?

Hope you can hep me!

Flex

• My friend / FlexMcMurphy

I've never used external 1TB usb drive before

But according to my humble opinion, without previous experience, I don't think the device will recognize the drive above 1TB

It should be borne in mind that the Spark devices are very old devices now and their hardwareware Very weak for new hardwareware has become of the past time. Also, the version PKT used in the device is old, so try it with a modern version special. Open atv 6.3 probability succeed

• You could even try with NTFS but you must install the kernel patch for it... PurE2 should be able to accommodate that, at least...

Also, I would recommend using Image Manager. Using that, you can install more images on a USB stick... Much more fun, no more "limited flash is an issue"...

Good luck!

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/ets/CCREAD/etscc/kant.html

• Thank you both for replying.

My Amiko Alien2 has Linux Kernel 2.6! This kernel version doesn't support EFI GPT partitions which I need to use the whole of the 4TB USB drive. I tried attaching the drive to a Pi on the network and using that as a network attached source but I found playback freezing every 10-15mins so it's not reliable... again I suspect because the Alien2 just hasn't got enough power or memory.

I want to format as ext4 rather than ntfs because I want to use rsync to backup to a second drive and preserve timestamps. I also tried formatting the whole drive as ext4 with no partition. This did mount when attached to a Raspberry Pi. It did not mount when attached to the Alien2. It has a stripped down BusyBox Mount command that I guess hasn't got all the features of a normal Mount command so Alien2 won't mount a partition-less drive.

This leaves me with no option but to format the 4TB drive in Alien2 up to the max 2TiB the MBR partition type supports. I'll stick with that until I finally upgrade to a decent new linux satellite box!

Cheers,

Flex

• Interesting: https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/…22-terabytes-tb-218575en/

Linux kernel version v2.6.35 or newer is known to support >2TiB disk drives.

Legacy BIOS systems using GPT partitions with a hybrid protective MBR are supported by some Linux distributions. Syslinux v4 adds booting from GPT.

I always used more than 1 partition in my USB sticks, when I extended my flash, as inadequate, one for flash extender and another as HDD or so... So, in principle, nothing bad about 2 x 2TB partitions...

Also: https://www.linuxquestions.org…rives-and-gpt-4175412537/

Good luck!

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

• Cheers gorski,

I am limited by the Amiko Alien2 box, lack of technical knowledge and understanding of other options!

I have a 4TB external USB drive. Yes, I also thought about partitioning it into two each less than 2TiB but then I found a post on SuperUser and this page and am now not sure it would be safe to store valuable data on a drive with two large MBR partitions. Maybe the guy on that page is being overly cautious?

Another mod on here, ahmed gazye, suggested I install OpenATV 6.3. I'm not sure what Linux Kernel it has. When I tried flashing it in the age old way with Spark e2upgrade plugin I was using back in 2013 I got the error: Cannot Find Kernel File, Upgrade failed. Maybe OpenATV has a new kernel and that plugin won't flash it? Do you know anything about that?

Cheers,

Flex

• My friend / FlexMcMurphy

First, update your system to the Spark with the plugin and the new software to install the New and modern like openatv 6.3 or pure 6.5

On the internal flash, you can refer to my topics on the following link to make the required updates, which are annotated and illustrated.

After that, you will install new versions easily and look at the subject of TB external USB drive

Explain Installing raw image Enigma2 or delete it or make a backup on the internal flash of Spark devices

AMIKO ALIEN 2 spark 7162 1.2.83 app

Explained how to install Enigma2 Image on the external flash by Plugin Image Manager in Devices Spark

Good luck

310271357.gif 310271357.gif
    668584774.png

310271357.gif 310271357.gif

• Thanks Ahmed,

I got OpenATV 6.3 on my Amiko Alien2. It's a nice clean interface.

Unfortunately it is still based on an old Linux Kernel. The version is: 2.6.32.71 It doesn't support EFI/GPT partitions and the Mount command also won't mount the USB drive that I formatted just as ext4 with no partition.

Code
    # mount /dev/sda /mnt/test

Raspbian OS on a Raspberry Pi DOES mount this usb drive even though it doesn't have a partition.

I suppose there will never be an enigma2 image for the Alien2 with a recent kernel that supports GPT partitions. Alien2 is old hardware!

Thanks for your help anyway,

Flex

• Do you have E2 in your Alien2, Flex? If not, just in case, thanx to @popssad:

INSTALLING ENIGMA2 USING SPARK PLUGIN IN AMIKO ALIEN/ALIEN 2

USING A USB STICK AND EASY TO FOLLOW ON-SCREEN MENU IN SPARK

Also, there is a video for it...

Preparation:
    USB Stick Formatted to FAT32
    Spark Mini Plugins pack for the Amiko Alien/Alien 2
    Enigma2 Firmware for the Amiko Alien/Alien 2

1) Download the Plugin Pack and save this file to your computer.

https://amikoreceiver.com/tools-for-amiko/amiko-plugins/

2) Insert a USB stick into your computer, open the Plugin Pack file you just downloaded and extract the complete plugin directory from the .zip or .rar file to the root of the USB stick (which must have been pre-formatted to FAT 32).

3) Now, safely remove the USB stick from your computer and with your Amiko Alien/Alien 2 receiver powered on and connected to your TV, insert the USB stick into a USB port on Amiko Alien/Alien 2 (either front or rear USB port will work in the case of the Alien 2 - just ensure you have no other USB devices connected at the time).

4) Within a few seconds the Amiko Alien/Alien 2 receiver will read the USB stick and then automatically prompt you on
    screen saying ‘Confirm Do you want to upgrade plug in?’ – Select YES using the remote control arrow keys and then press OK on the remote control.

This will now display the ‘Upgrade from USB’ menu and the update will start automatically which will only take a few seconds and once complete will automatically reboot your receiver. At the point of reboot you can now remove the USB stick from the Amiko Alien/Alien 2 (if you don’t then the receiver will keep prompting to update after each reboot - you can just click no though if you wish).

5) When your Amiko Alien/Alien 2 receiver has finished booting back up you should now be back to the usual Spark firmware but there we'll now have several plugins that have been installed which can all be found by selecting MENU > Plugin using the remote control.

At this point you are now half way there, we have all the tools required to install Enigma2 firmware via Spark so we just need to get the Enigma2 firmware itself.

6) Download and save your required Enigma2 firmware of your choice for Amiko Alien/Alien 2 to your computer.

7) Insert a USB stick into your computer, open the Enigma2 firmware file you just downloaded and extract the two files from the .zip or .rar file to the root of the USB stick (which must have been pre-formatted to FAT 32). These files will be named uImage and e2jffs2.img.

8) Now remove the USB stick from your computer and with your Amiko Alien/Alien 2 receiver powered on and booted to Spark and connected to your TV insert the USB stick into a USB port on Amiko Alien/Alien 2 (either front or rear USB port in the case of the Alien 2).

9) Within a few seconds the Amiko Alien/Alien 2 receiver will read the USB stick. After a few seconds using the remote control go to MENU > Plug in > plugin_e2upgrade.s and while this is highlighted press the OK button which should take you straight to the Enigma2 Update menu.

10) Make sure the Update path is showing as /storage/c/ (provided the two files were saved to the root of your USB stick) and then press RED (Enigma2 Update). You should see a pop up on-screen re. updating Enigma2, warning you not to power off the receiver (this is all automated functions and messages – you don’t need press and keys at this point).

11) After a short while the message will disappear and you will be returned back to the Enigma2 Update menu – at this point you are actually finished and Enigma2 is now flashed, so you can exit all menus and reboot the receiver yourself and using the FORCE function on boot up make the receiver boot into Enigma2 mode (by first powering down the receiver at the back switch and then powering on the receiver again while pressing and holding the OK button on the front of the receiver, until FORCE is shown on the front screen, then pressing the down arrow (to see Enigma2) on the front of the receiver and then pressing OK.

Your Amiko Alien/Alien 2 will then boot into Enigma2 and it will boot to this mode each time as default!

12) If you wish to change this back to Spark as the default it’s very easy to do. Basically, the reverse procedure should be done now: using the FORCE function during the booting up, make the receiver boot into Spark mode which is done by pressing and holding the OK button on the front of the receiver, until FORCE is seen on the front screen, then pressings the up arrow (Spark) on the front of the receiver and then pressing OK on the front of the receiver.

==============Mutiple Enigma2 FWs in your Alien/Alien2 using Image Manager=============

Yes, once you have, say OpenATV in Alien2 flash - you can do this: How To Use Image Manager Plugin on All Spark Receivers

Then, one can install 3 - 4 images on a USB stick easily.

The other USB port one can use for the external, USB connected HDD (1st and 2nd partition of the same device, mounted as /media/hdd and /media/hdd2 respectively).

What's the point of forever wondering? Just do it and enjoy... It will take some time to fill the first 2TB anyhow, so...

Files

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!