Nob server setup

There are 10 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 534 times. The last Post () by yardy_genius.

• Hello again everyone, i must first declare than i am a nob to this type of server setup and would greatly appreciate some clarification to questions that linger in my mind.
    before i actually purchase equipment i want to ensure i completely understand all the concepts associated with cccam or other server files. my aim is to set up a server with about 20 users for now. family and friends. i could use a dreambox but i prefer a pc to facilitate future expansion. i have also been reading that some paid servers tend to go down with this be the case of my private home server as well. i plan to do a setup with one sub and i am perfectly fine with working within the limits of it.

with that being said, i have been browsing thru a few guides here with regards to the set up, and also googling returns a few results as well. now starting from scratch as it relates to obtaining a sub and best server to go with can anyone point me to guides that will clear this up for me. what is a boxkey too? will i need this to setup my server.
    i know i may sound a bit confusing and may sound like am going off on a tangent but any direction offered would be greatly appreciate. am pretty tech savvy just want to know exactly where to start to reduce some of the headaches.

• Welcome to CS lol

Lot of Ground to cover in that post so i will try and answer as best as i can!

1st and formost so we get off on the right ground.....this is a hobby bud....i would like to think that wanting to get involved in a new hobby wouldnt influence whether or not to start buying equipment?! Also get into it for the right reasons.....simply to start a server for 20 odd people wouldnt be the best way to start off in CS lol! Most of us got into without thinking whether we should or not? Costs involved? Time spent working, breaking and fixing things and building relationships with other users on the forum! Just bare that in mind!

On to your quiestions!

Dreambox or PC would suffice for a server.......PC would be more stable, allow you to share with other peers abit easier IMO.....and would allow you to have a standalone server....rather then using the reciever that you would have to restart e.t.c when making any alternations on the server side! - You can then link your boxes to the server e.t.c!

Look here
    Forum Gateway - Powered by DnP Firewall

and here

Pc side use a Ubuntu or Debian auto Script! (Oscam or Oscam/Cccam combined) (debain i found easier when starting out) MO

Oscam on own or Oscam/Cccam combo....both have pro's n con's i found using Oscam only suited me fine...and saved any extra problems/questions when i started lol!

You will then need a local subbed card (Purchased Subscribed Card) to read/share

Using a smartgo smartreader or a Omnikey reader to read card into server and using config files from here

If you get to that stage and your server is working - reading card - you then need to look at the sharing lines section in tutorials and your up n running so to speak!

Work through each stage, with a clear head....if anything doesn't work or follow the steps like it should just shout! any major problems just restart the install of OS and rerun autoscript! e.t.c (took me a couple of times)

lssdalogo.png

"Don't Gain The World & Lose Your Soul, Wisdom Is Better Than Silver Or Gold"
    “Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction”

• One other tip, at the very least, put another "o" in Nob.. It might get a few sniggers or maybe that is just an Irish thing.. LoL. Good luck m8

All your problems have been solved countless times before so try the search box before you post!!
    Please do not Request help by PM, use the main forum so Everyone can benefit from the answers.

• Thanks alot for your reply. its really helpful. i will get started with building the server. I really do consider this as a hobby, and to get this working is really exciting to me. am somewhat the networking Enthusiast lol. i don't have a problem with buying the equipment, just want to ensure i get the right one. lol. also for a subscription, is there a specific box i should get with the subscription? i am also aware that some payed servers go down, because of ECM? not 100% sure. does this also affect us who have the small private servers. thanks.

• Can you point out a few recommended listings for a pc card reader [int'l shipping]?

How about cloning cards, is it still a practical\viable solution? What hardware do I need to accomplish that?

• Well if its a "small server", you should not have a problem with ecm's.. I have about 30 clients & about 20 peers and I have no problems.. To be honest judging by some of the peers I have had in the past with 10-15 cascading users, id imagine that my server could handle 4-5 times its current capacity.. But why would you be so worried about server capacity at this early stage?

All your problems have been solved countless times before so try the search box before you post!!
    Please do not Request help by PM, use the main forum so Everyone can benefit from the answers.

• Well if its a "small server", you should not have a problem with ecm's.. I have about 30 clients & about 20 peers and I have no problems.. To be honest judging by some of the peers I have had in the past with 10-15 cascading users, id imagine that my server could handle 4-5 times its current capacity.. But why would you be so worried about server capacity at this early stage?

OK, so another question. do i need a special type of receiver when i get the sub? that is is it more ideal to buy one receiver over the other.?

OK, so another question. do i need a special type of receiver when i get the sub? that is is it more ideal to buy one receiver over the other.?

You will need a box that at the very least can handle a cline/nline..

The rest is really down to what exactly you want to do on your stb..
    If it is purely just for viewing TV, there are tonnes of box's out there for under £100
    If you want to be able to record, watch on-demand, stream etc. etc.. The box's that fit your needs become fewer & fewer...

So If you decide what you need, It would be a much easier question to answer...

• You will need a box that at the very least can handle a cline/nline..

The rest is really down to what exactly you want to do on your stb..
    If it is purely just for viewing TV, there are tonnes of box's out there for under £100
    If you want to be able to record, watch on-demand, stream etc. etc.. The box's that fit your needs become fewer & fewer...

So If you decide what you need, It would be a much easier question to answer...

Ok with that also been said. when i obtain a subscription, does the receiver which a get from the provider play an important role? i have been reading around that i need to obtain the box key and some are more difficult to obtain from others some requiring JTAG. can you clarify for me please. thanks.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!