Skin Support - Post questions for all my skins in here.

There are 1,467 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 150,008 times. The last Post () by bmitie.

• Official Post

The bitbake files for the skins have been adapted. They will also use the tags. Can you please push/commit the changes to following rep as it is still empty

GitHub - kiddac/Slyk_R19_1080: Old style sky skin.
    Old style sky skin. . Contribute to kiddac/Slyk_R19_1080 development by creating an account on GitHub.
    github.com

Thanks in advance

• Hi sorry if this has Already been asked,on Openatv 7.3 using slyk q skin,on Channel list Blue button text gets cut off displays "Favourites Butto" the n gets cut off.Ive tried looking for the text but cannot find it.Could someone point me in the right direction thankyou.(i have tried several versions of skin including latest version).

• @ Kiddac.....referred for your attention, please. Thanks.

• Are you interested in performance issues of the skins?

I've been profiling the code a bit (on a ZGemma H.2S) and noticed that the background jpeg for Onyx isn't cached, so it is loaded every time it is needed, adding 0.6 seconds. PNGs are cached, so this would be quicker, although the file would be larger.

Profile for opening the graphical EPG:

2nd (and subsequent) time using a PNG instead of a JPG for the background, cuts the time down from 2.6 to 1.9 seconds:

Code
    ncalls  tottime  percall  cumtime  percall filename:lineno(function)
         1    0.000    0.000    1.911    1.911 /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Screens/InfoBarGenerics.py:2019(openGraphEPG)

Also note that it spends 0.5 seconds resolving filenames. I used a cache to help cut that too, now down to 1.4 seconds:

Code
         1    0.000    0.000    1.433    1.433 /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Screens/InfoBarGenerics.py:2019(openGraphEPG)

I'm still fairly new to Enigma, so I may well have missed stuff. But it might be useful.

UPDATE:

I removed the picon & "channel-icons" section from the top-right (which I don't really need) and got it under 1 second! I'm not sure why they are so slow. (I don't have picons installed.). UPDATE: It turned out that the "channel-icons" are the main problem.

Code
         1    0.000    0.000    0.983    0.983 /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Screens/InfoBarGenerics.py:2019(openGraphEPG)

Bouquets with lots of channels seem to slow down the opening of the EPG too. I'm going to have a look at that now.

UPDATE: It was loading the EPG data for all the channels at once, visible or not. I've changed that and it runs great now - very smooth!

I'll tidy it up a bit and maybe try to get it into OpenATV.

• Damon Chaplin these skins were designed several years ago, when boxes were slow. Oh the joys of my zgemma S2 :). So at the time they were optimised.

Which is why the code was all templated. At the time all the pngs were compressed.

The JPGs were considerably smaller than PNGs so for memory size this is why they were used for some backgrounds.

Since then, all the image teams builds have nearly doubled in size. Bloat, bloat and more bloat.

Also since then we have moved on to python 3, which despite its claims, was never as fast as python 2 builds.

We also have 1080 skins now as the norm (which doubled all the size of the graphics), and now also UHD screens for dreamboxes.

So everything is getting larger and bulkier and using more memory.

All my skins have very little tweaks over the last few years as my primary focus switched to my plugins and not skins.

But I am giving them a once over at the moment. No harm making suggestions and improvements. But any improvements or tweaks have to work on all oe-alliance images. And tweaks have to be in the skin files, not the enigma2 core components. That isn't my issue.

** A person who feels appreciated will always do more than what is expected **

• KiddaC I think the background pixmap of the skin is so important it needs to be cached so should be a PNG, or alternatively don't use it for the EPG - just use a solid background colour (which is what I have at the moment).

The channel-icons section I never liked anyway, as I think it shows icons for the current TV channel showing in the PIG, not the event selected in the EPG. I found it confusing - I actually thought it was broken for ages.

Just my opinion though - I'm a bit obsessed with having a fast EPG at the moment.

I'll try to submit patches or something for the other things, once I've figured out where the best place is. (Maybe the OpenATV forum, or a github issue.)

• Official Post

I'll try to submit patches or something for the other things, once I've figured out where the best place is. (Maybe the OpenATV forum, or a github issue.)

If you are using OpenATV, submit a pull request to their master branch. Might be an idea to also test with Metrix skin so that any concerns that it is a skin specific issue are addressed.

• I will get back to these skin updates very shortly.
    It's just a very busy time for me the last few weeks. 21sts, 50ths, mums 80th, stag doos, weddings. Just not a lot of spare time at the moment. Plus it was too dam hot in my little enigma2 work office.
    Normal service will resume next week. (when its meant to be even hotter)

** A person who feels appreciated will always do more than what is expected **

KiddaC Skins and Plugins

KiddaC Enigma2 Picons, Plugins and Skins, includes slyk-1-HD, v-skin-HD, slyk-q-HD, slyk onyx skins, Bouquet Maker Xtream, E2Piconizer, IPTV Bouquet Maker, Jedi Maker Xtream, Jedi EPG Xtream, ScreenNames, Visual Weather and X Class, X-Streamity - Xtream Codes IPTV Player.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!