Missing satellite channels on search

There are 137 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 8,284 times. The last Post () by Panda555.

• about longitude and latitude i think chris is a little confused because of me.

i have the strange (in my personal motor dish, which is still installed in my fathers home from when i was living there)

i am living in longitude 21 degrees

i installed the dish, and i tested through my satellite meter. i had the perfect signal from 30W to 75E (my limits when Lmi 75E was available in Greece)

for a strange reason , when i connected my receiver (first a dm800 and a few years later a vu+uno) , and set longitude/latitude, the motor had about 3-4 degrees deviation (maybe enigma2 fault, maybe wrong motor calibration?) . i tried to adjust whole the motor/dish 3 degrees, but i was loosing too much from the midle to the limits...

the solution was to insert fake longitude (about 25 degrees) and it was working perfect...

so i suggested to chris, if he is sure that the dish is adjusted perfect, to try change the values of latitude , and watch what happens

the dish is still there for anyone who wants to examinate it :cool1:

• Well there are two different latitude I have 51.21 and 51.12 and longitude 1.233 and 1.388 as I got it from the motor manual and dishpointer.com so it confused me.

Do I have to get the setup for the dish and motor correctly that tells me from the motor manual or from dishpointer.com?

Yeah I agree with you the dish is not track the satellite as I did changed it in my receiver settings that it does nothing.

When I get someone to do it for me to adjust the dish for the 0.8west, will all channels works for all satellites as I won't lose it?

• Official Post

When I get someone to do it for me to adjust the dish for the 0.8west, will all channels works for all satellites as I won't lose it?

When setting up the dish, 3 or more satellites are used,

1 far east

1 far west

and one in the middle of the arc, one close to south as possible, (in normal cases) so you end up with correct tracking for the satellites

TBH the scale on the motor and the dish are not very accurate, they are just stamped on as a rough guide, the real fine tuning takes time and patience.

A professional installer should have tools like inclinometers and angle finders, sat meters etc etc

(i am only a hobbyist and just use the sat box, mobile phone and a spirit level.....and several hours messing until it is perfect)

• (i am only a hobbyist and just use the sat box, mobile phone and a spirit level.....and several hours messing until it is perfect)

you must be very tall

i needed a ladder too

and about 6 months for my first one

this post by zilizila

should help just change 19.2 for 0.8

Motorised dish set

parabéns cr7 & moliveira88

Μπρέντφορντ Φ.Σ

RIP Vangelis Papathanassiou

Edited once, last by Antepenultim8 ().

• Official Post

i had a laugh the other day to see a sky dish "installer" get the full scaffolding rig out the van to put a sky dish up, took 5 minutes for the dish and an hour for all the H&S stuff:chuckle:

• jensen i had a laugh at a sky installer looking at my dish pointing at 30 west

and he was pointing the zone 1 in the same direction

you should have seen his face when he saw me looking

i wished i had taken a picture cos it was a picture to be seen

parabéns cr7 & moliveira88

Μπρέντφορντ Φ.Σ

RIP Vangelis Papathanassiou

• Hi,

Today is the best day I could do to work on my dish. I can't do it tomorrow or other day because it will be raining.

I have checked on the motor set as it is already set to zero. I have moved the dish to 0.8west.

Then I moved the dish to the west, it have improved 20% signals and I can't adjust it anymore because it will have no signals so I have moved it back and I got 50% signals which is good better than 47% signals.

Some channels got 60% signals and some got less like 50%. The gospel channel have 50% signals and the music channel have 50% signals.

Some channels have no signals so do I have to move the dish up or down until I get the signals?

I have checked the signals for 28.2east most got over 80% signals. When I select on eir sports it never worked for me so today it works. Can you get rte 1 and 2??

I have check on 13east satellite and I get no signals so I think I need to move the dish up or down to improve the signals?

I have checked on the motor elevation and motor latitude but I'm not sure if it is the correct settings. Can you please check and let me know what is my motor elevation and latitude??

And also for my dish elevation. I'm not sure what is my dish elevation so do you know what is my dish elevation??

Please let me know.

• Chris

As I have time on my hands I just saw this. You are missing the point, and you have been told enough times but you don't seem to get it. Above in this thread you have a lovely list of sats with signal levels. You have to accept your set up is not installed properly and all you will get is some sats ok and others not available. It will never be perfect. Did you checl that the pole is 100 perpendicular and 100% level and the dish face is 100% square. The motor elevation and dish elevation is as stated in the manual. You use these and then move rig to 0/8w and get best signal on those 2 channels. When you have best possible signal on these, compare with list above then rig is correct. When you now move to 30 west and 28 east and you don't get signals it means 2 things, there are obstructions or the rig is crooked. By changing the usals settings you are cheating but if it works then that's what you use. So for 28east you may have one usals settings that works, write it down, then for 13east you may need another figure and so on.

The motor looks correct but dish is wrong it should be 27.6 as per your manual.

I dont know if I ever linked that u tube video so here it is again, and look for the 3 red dots at 5.18 secs. When at zero your rig should look like that ie dead straight.

Seriously you have the wrong wall bracket but it will give you endless pleasure messing.

Getting a signal in rain is best as signal at weakest.

• Yes I have accept that my sat is not installed correctly. According to the manual my dish elevation should be 22.6 degree. I have checked my motor latitude is 51 and motor elevation is 39 degree so both setup have been set up correctly.

So in the attached picture, it look like my dish elevation is 20 degree which is low?

Yes I have checked on the pole as it is not 100% straight as my pole is tilted. I'm going to change it to L mount sometime after Christmas.

What do you mean the rig? Do you mean the dish arm?

• Official Post

??????????

As you already said your pole is not straight, that mount is rubbish, we have all said so from the start, many many times.

Get some T and K brackets, scaffold tube, raw bolts, SDS drill, get the pole straight

Then you can start adjusting the dish and motor, until then your wasting your time.

If the pole is 1 degree off plumb, then by the time you add the motor and the dish to the 1 degree error it is likely to be a load more.

The pole being straight is vitally important.

• no problem with any channels on 16e it is a strong satellite

It's strange but when I changed the longitude from 1.388 to 2.44 and I can now have sport klub 1 hd, but the s.n.r is 50%.

I have checking on Al jazeera English at 0.8w, the signals was 50% but now I got is 57% and the gospel channel is 57% as it was 69%.

It's sounds like to me the motor/dish elevation need to be adjust??

• chris0147

You must type correct your latitude and longitude for USALS motor in your box which you got on dishpointer. If you try to change

some values ( in your case you have maybe a better signal ), then you will never adjust your dish well, maybe for other satellites.

Your " cetntral satellite" is Thor 0.8 W ( clean south ). I think that your values must be:

Motor elevation around 51 degrees

Dish elevation around 31.5 degrees

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!